Description of the neighbourhood
The Municipality of Rome XI is a district of Roma Capitale located in the south - east of the historical city center of Rome, it is made up of nine neighborhoods, has an area of 47,292 square kilometers and a population of about 135,000 inhabitants.
Figure. Rome Municipio XI
The public buildings used as reference in the pilot case of the Municipality of Rome XI are seven and are spread over three neighborhoods.
- San Paolo
Figure. Rome Municipio XI neighborhoods
The Garbatella district neighbourhood
The District Garbatella expands in the south of Rome, just outside the Aurelian walls, crossed by the Via Ostiense at the Porta San Paolo. To the west the district follows the river Tiber, where it’s earlier ambition to grow to be a river port was never fully realized, from the railway station, fracture point of the city bypassed by a new bridge ‘S. Spizzichino’. To the east the district is close by the great line of communication with Christopher Columbus down on the seat of the Regione Lazio. To the south is the Ostiense district with the Basilica of St. Paul, one of the most important churches in Christendom.
The reference public buildings of Garbatella neighborhood are:
- Cesare Battisti School (Building A) - Damiano Sauli Square, n. 1-00154 ROME
- Cesare Battisti Offices (Building B) - Damiano Sauli Square, n. 1-00154 ROME
- The Technical and Operating Unit (U.O.T.) - Sette Chiese Street, n. 23-00145 ROME
The reference buildings of Montagnola neighborhood are:
- Institutional Seat of the town hall Rome XI (Building A) - Benedetto Croce Street, n. 50-00142 ROME
- Institutional Seat of the town hall Rome XI (Building B) - Benedetto Croce Street, n. 50-00142 ROME
- Nursery school I Monelli - Casalinuovo Street, n. 32-00142 ROME
- Kindergarten Ciliegio Rosa - Accademia Aldina Street, n.30 - 00147 ROME
S. Paolo Neighbourhood
The reference buildings of San Paolo neighborhood are:
- School Livio Tempesta - Salvatore Pincherle Street, n. 140 - 00146 ROME
- kindergarten Aquilone Colorato - Giustiniano Imperatore Street,-00145 ROME
Scenario and use cases involved
The project aims at improving energy efficiency and reducing environmental impact (reduction of CO2) through the rationalization of energy consumption (management and forecasting of energy consumption) in a district in view of a future electricity network which can intelligently integrate the actions of all users which are connected (producers and consumers) to a more efficient and safe distribution network. The goal of the project is therefore to develop an integrated management system that allows, through the optimization and monitoring of energy consumption, the transfer of electrical energy surplus from one building to another and vice versa. Specifically, the project aims, through the acquisition and analysis of historical monthly consumption of the reference buildings and the amount of energy produced by the photovoltaic month (data to be provided by the City of Rome Department SIMU), to achieve rationalization of electricity consumption by optimizing the energy produced by the photovoltaic system installed.
At first the pilot case of Rome will concern the buildings described above located in the Garbatella neighborhood. The project aims at improving energy efficiency and reducing environmental impact (reduction of CO2) through the rationalization of energy consumption (management and forecasting of energy consumption) in a district in view of a future network electric can intelligently integrate the actions of all users connected (producers and consumers) to a distribution efficiently and safely. The goal of the project is therefore to simulate an integrated management system that allows, through optimization and monitoring of energy consumption, the transfer of the remaining electrical energy (surplus) from one building to another and vice versa.
For the pilot case of Rome XI, the following scenarios and use cases both at neighbourhood and building level are going to be addressed:
- Scenario at neigbourhood level: Transferring all remaining energy from building A in Garbatella neighbourhood to charge batteries of electric bicycles.
- UC-1 Inform on energy production for making decision
- UC-2 Inform of energy surplus availability for making decision
- UC-3 Consider weather and energy costs for making decision
- Scenario at building level: Monitoring the energy consumption by identifying of waste of energy- minimization
- UC-1 Continuous monitoring of energy consumption at floor level
- UC-2 Analysis of monitored data
- UC-3 Making decision advise support and taking action
- UC-4 Increase the photovoltaic energy production
- UC-5 Simulation tools: the results of the Odysseus analysis will provide a solution that simulates the optimization of the electricity production
Main actors and stakeholders involved
- City energy manager: Municipio ROMA XI (City Hall ROMA XI);
- Facility (building) energy manager: Department of Urban Infrastructure Development and Maintenance (SIMU) (Maintenance Manager of P.V.);
- Utility:ACEA Distribution S.P.A. (Manager of network)